Friday, February 19, 2010

Soups and Hoops

Was a pretty good day today. Worked on the cars for most of the day (changing oil mostly). There were frustrations, of course. Cars are like that. But still, felt good to get that kind of crucial work done, gaining a real sense of accomplishment.

Eventually got to the basketball games. It was homecoming, so that's fun, I guess. For the wee little children in high school I reckon. Etna vs Burney...again. Sort of surprised to see Chet and Hunta show up for the varsity games. We had a lot of good laughs. I forgot to bring my camera, but luckily Chet brought his, which was good because his is better than mine anyway. Our girls were winning by quite a bit, so that allowed for my cousin, Tilly, to play tonight. Played a lot actually. So that was great that she was so involved. We even stuck around for the varsity boys game, and that was a lot of fun to watch as well.

What was really cool was that at the end of the boys' game, since it was well known that Burney wasn't going to beat us, they put in one player, who was handicapped or something, so that he could take a couple shots, uncontested. And when he made his first basket, everybody in the gym, meaning even Etna folk, applauded him, and it was just really sweet. Those moments made me think of a couple of things.

One, how handicapped or similar people really affect others. They really are special people. Having such persons around really brings out the best in everone that comes across them. I was wondering what everybody in that gym was really thinking and/or if they had even noticed how suddenly they may have changed their thinking. The players didn't go sprinting around and anticipating others' movements and spectators weren't tensing up while watching the game and if the players could stay ahead of the other like we had been doing throughout the whole game. Competitiveness turned to genuine congeniality when that kid played, even though he only played for a few seconds. Those kind of people have some of the greatest influence. That's definitely apparent with my sister.

I would go on, but I wrote a lot more than I planned to anyways. The only other thing I have to report is that I spilled soup in my lap at around lunchtime today. That was fun.

1 comment:

  1. Hello Cap's blog! =) You should write more things about your life! I'm excited you have a blog!

    ReplyDelete